One of Kamala Harris’ advisers confirmed that Donald Trump has removed her Secret Service protection, which Joe Biden had extended before leaving office.
By law, a former vice president is entitled to six months of protection after leaving office. Harris’ security period was set to end in July, but Biden had quietly added an extra year through a directive. Trump reversed that extension with a memo dated Thursday, according to documents reviewed by the BBC.
The timing is obvious because Harris is about to begin a nationwide book tour to promote 107 Days, a memoir reflecting on her brief and unsuccessful 2024 presidential run.
Also Read: Trump’s Support For Chinese Students Sparks Backlash From MAGA Base

Details of the Directive
According to a letter dated 28 August, the Secret Service was ordered to stop any security procedures that went beyond what is legally required, effective from 1 September.
A White House official later confirmed the development. Sources who spoke with CBS, the BBC’s US partner, explained that a new threat assessment had been conducted. That review concluded that there was no pressing reason to extend Harris’ security detail beyond the six months guaranteed under law.
A law passed in 2008 allows the Secret Service to protect former vice presidents, their spouses, and children under 16, but only for a limited time after leaving office.
It has now been more than seven months since Harris left office at the close of Biden’s administration in January. Her husband, Doug Emhoff, already lost his protection at the end of July when his six months ended.
Loss of Coverage and Its Cost
With the directive now in effect, Harris will lose the agents assigned to guard her personally and safeguard her Los Angeles residence. She will also no longer benefit from proactive intelligence gathering used to spot and prevent potential threats.
Experts estimate that paying for the same type of private security could run into millions of dollars every year.
California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass strongly criticized the decision. Speaking to CNN, Bass said, “This is another act of revenge in a growing list of political retaliations involving firings, revoked clearances, and more.” She added that she would ensure Harris’ safety in Los Angeles.
Pattern of Revoked Protections
Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has withdrawn Secret Service coverage from several individuals. Those affected include Hunter and Ashley Biden, the children of the former president, and Anthony Fauci, the former head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Other removals targeted former Trump officials and allies, such as Mike Pompeo, who once served as Secretary of State, and John Bolton, who later became one of Trump’s strongest critics after working as national security adviser.
Also Read: Kamala Harris Net Worth

Harris’ Security Risks in the Past
During her time as vice president, Harris dealt with several threats. Former Secret Service officials have said her position as the first woman and first person of color in the role made her security concerns even more serious.
Trump himself also faced danger during the last presidential campaign, surviving two assassination attempts where the Secret Service was credited with playing an important role in preventing worse outcomes.
In August 2024, a man from Virginia was charged with making online threats to kill, kidnap, or harm Harris and former President Barack Obama.
An earlier case from 2021 involved a Florida woman, aged 39, who admitted guilt after threatening Harris. She had sent her imprisoned husband videos showing weapons and claimed an attack could be carried out within 50 days.